Since at least 1729, with the opening of the first courthouse, Riverhead has been a center of Suffolk County’s legal community. The present Griffing Avenue Courthouse, which dates from 1929, was designed by M. Vollney Liddel, a Suffolk County Architect. The Courthouse is in the Neo-Georgian style, and features six Corinthian columns at the main entrance. It was built on the site of a courthouse, constructed in 1855, which had been destroyed by fire. The Griffing Avenue Courthouse originally housed a number of County offices in addition to its two courtrooms. Over the years, the County offices were relocated, and four additional courtrooms were created in the vacated space. Currently a major addition is being planned, which will add nine new courtrooms to the striking courthouse complex.
Photo Courtesy of Sergeant David Mylett, Suffolk County Court
History Courtesy of: Ronald Younkins, New York Office of Court Administration