Alger Williams was born in 1898. He began the practice of law in partnership in 1921, specializing in general litigation. He served a term as President of the Erie County Bar Association in 1940-41. In 1946, he was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court for the Eighth District, a post to which he was re-elected in 1960.
Williams functioned as a trial judge from 1947 to the close of 1954, and then as an Associate Justice of the Appellate Division for the Fourth Department from 1955 to the close of 1959. On January 1st, 1960, he was appointed Presiding Justice of the Fourth Department, which post he held until his resignation on May 1st, 1968. Following his mandatory retirement at the close of 1968, he returned to private practice in a counsel capacity. He died on May 10th, 1978.