Created by BHSEC Faculty
NYS Common Core Grades 11 & 12:
United States History and Government
Participation in Government and Civics
BHSEC welcomes new students each year with a Writing and Thinking Workshop in which students engage a topic in small groups and write, think and discuss the topic in depth. In 2010, the theme of this workshop was “Justice.” Students read from an anthology of sources that included some of the most read texts on the subject, starting with Plato and covering the Founding Fathers to Bob Dylan. The students then explored these ideas in their classrooms and in visits to courtrooms in New York City.
- Foundations of Justice,
- Sports & Games,
- Economic Justice,
- Intellectual Property, Copyright & Fair Use, and
- Dilemmas: Equality, Religious Freedom, Criminal Justice & Immigration.
This lesson plan meets the following guidelines of New York State’s Common Core Social Studies Framework (2017):
- Constitutional Foundations: 11.2c
- Social and Economic Change/Domestic Issues: 11.10b
- Foundations of American Democracy: 12.G1b, 12.G1d
- Civil Rights and Civil Liberties: 12.G2a, 12.G2b, 12.G2c, 12.G2d, 12.G2e
- The Impact of American Capitalism in a Global Economy: 12.E3e